Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Delusional Infatuation - Or is it?



I locked myself in my room today in order to get some serious writing done.  I'm all revved up from yesterday's Writer's Digest webinar. Maybe I was in there (my room) a little too long because I started anthropomorphizing my virtual teddy bear like character on my wallpaper. She’s so cute.  Over the period of the day she moves through different normal daily activities.  She feeds the birds. Eats at her little table. I wondered if she’s enjoying her food. She cleans her house with her cute little broom. I had conversations with her. Then the realization that this might not be normal sank in. Or is it? People don’t like admitting any tendencies they might have outside the general flow of things. Why don’t I care? Artist’s see things differently.

I feel certain that I’m not alone in this delusional infatuation. 90% of all the people on earth interact with a computer; or some technical device. Odds are some people get even freakier with this sort of visual stimuli. Like buying stuff for their avatar or something. Or actually scheduling their lives to accommodate the scheduled dinner (mine always eats at the same time of day) with their virtual teddy bear like character on their wallpaper . I don’t buy it stuff for mine!

So I poked around on the internet and found this article in a matter of minutes: "Feeling remote? Try a $2,000 telepresence robot
For two grand, Double Robotics will sell you an iPad on wheels that delivers a physical presence at a distant location." by Stephen Shankland
December 5, 2012 5:58 AM PST, at http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-57557237-2/feeling-remote-try-a-$2000-telepresence-robot/

Wow! “ A physical presence”. I don’t feel so crazy now. People pay for what I felt. Besides, my android told me I'm virtually ok regarding this subject.  (I've really got to get out more.)

Poked around some more and learned what I knew, then forgot, the virtual pet fad that overtook my niece about five years ago. Dylan said it, and I'll say it again, "the times, they are a changing."

What about you?  Are you attached to your wall paper?  Leave a comment and tell me about your virtual infatuations.




No comments: