Thursday, December 20, 2012

TO THE GRIMM'S


This is the 200th anniversary of the first edition of "Grimm's Fairy Tales", a childhood book friend of mine.  Two German linguist's just messing around writing fairytales in their free time.  I love their book, and I love their real life stories.  I was a kid reading those impressionable stories that were scary, wonderful, sad, enjoying every minute of fright, and glorious wonder as a ten year old girl reading Snow White.  Their works came from European folk tales and was first published in 1812 by the German brothers Jacob Ludwig Grimm and Wihelm Carl Grimm.  The Brothers Grimm.


I learned a new word today when I was reading about the brothers.  The word is philology, which means the study of language in historical texts, which the brothers studied.  Which I love!

They prove that storytellers impact the world, preserve cultures, and put kids to sleep.  A Grandma's must.

Another news worthy tidbit that I did not know, is that there is a "Grimm's law" that describes how consonants changed overtime to give rise to modern German.  One more tidbit, they were third only to Shakespeare and the Bible.

TO THE GRIMM'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments: