Sunday, December 2, 2012

WD Your Story Contest #46 (sentence), due Nov.26th




OK.  I pushed the submit button; officially entered the Writer's Digest Contest #46.

This contest is found in the November/December Issue, on page 51.

The challenge:  Write the opening sentence (25 words or fewer) to a story based on the prompt below.  You can be funny, poignant, witty, etc.; it is, after all, your story.  

Prompt:  Write the first line to a story incorporating these three words:  fresh, hair, and tangled.  (You can use the words in any order in the sentence).

My Entry:  What a tangled up mess Prue thought to herself as she had another hair of the dog and prayed a fresh lead would come to her before the hoodlums caught up to her.

It's not too late for you to enter this contest.  There is a Your Story contest in every issue of Writer's Digest.  

The winning entry for YOURSTORY #42 titled The Safe Zone, submitted by Patricia Cook totally blows me away.  If your interested in writing you really should check out her superb example of how to do it.  My jaw dropped when I read it.  



Whow!  Silly me.  Just counted the words in my sentence and there are 33.  Well.  Won't be winning this contest.  Live and learn.  I really like my sentence anyway.  I'm thinking I can turn that little 33 word bad boy sentence into a short story.  See how much fun writing can be.

(Later that same day).  I resubmitted my entry.  23 words this time.  It goes like this:  Prue's mind tangled as she had another hair of the dog, praying a fresh lead appeared before the hoodlums caught up to her.


This drives home the point in writing that less is more.  When I cut ten words from the original sentence it morphed into better writing I think.


No comments: